Welcome to Thirteen2Nineteen: A Literary Magazine for Black Girls and Teens, where Black girls, teens, and women share their unique experiences, the ones that happen between the ages of 13 and 19.
EXTENDED DEADLINE: March 15, 2022
Submit Your Story
Dec 1, 2021 – January 31, 2022* (deadline extended)
Black women, you can also submit a story about a time when you were between 13 and 19 years old. Please be mindful that the magazine’s target audience is Black girls & teens in this age group, their parents, other relatives, and their friends.
- Your personal essay should be your own previously unpublished story.
- Your story should be around 500 words.
- Your story should be double-spaced with one-inch margins in a Word doc, docx, or Google Doc.
- Email your story to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your story is accepted for publication, an editor will reach out to you by email within 6 months with any suggested changes/edits. This might include: grammar, spelling, punctuation, story clarity & cohesion. If you decline to have your work edited, your story will not be published.
- Writes of Passage Group/Thirteen2Nineteen does not pay for stories at this time.
- If your story is accepted for publication elsewhere, please notify us as soon as possible.
- If you have any questions not covered above, please email: email@example.com
If you are under 18 years of age, you will need a parent/guardian’s permission if your story is accepted for publication. You can find the form here:
Please print, scan (or photograph), and return the completed form to: firstname.lastname@example.org (AFTER you are notified that your story has been accepted).
Black Girls Write: A Contest Submissions Closed 11:59 PM, 11.30.2021.
The winning stories will be published in Thirteen2Nineteen: A Literary Magazine for Black Girls & Teens, 2022. Winners will be notified by February 28, 2022.